Monday, April 7, 2014

Sketching and Studies

April already!

Early in the year, I made it one of my goals to really focus on study and sketching.  
So far it's been going really well!  It's always a delicate balance between the busy-busy-busy Day Job, completing large portfolio pieces, sewing up things for a spring Etsy update (coming soon!), getting sketchbook and study time in… and remembering to do things like …eat, laundry, sleep…  
never a dull moment.

I've been going to a lot of figure drawing sessions at Platform
where I've been having a fantastic time and meeting lots of fantastic people.  It's a nice mid-week break to sort of zone out for a few hours and just do some very focused drawing, and get dirty with conté.

Speaking of figure drawing:  
A big highlight of March was getting to finally attend a Dr. Sketchy event.  I've wanted to go to one for years! 
The March theme for the Chicago chapter was "The Spy Who Sketched Me" - all James Bond inspired poses, costumes, and music.
A fantastic afternoon with a spectacular model, good lighting, and a really luxurious setting.  Can't wait for the next one in May!

Another great resource I've been using is the new Sktchy app.  
I'm not sure how it started, but it's my favorite new thing.  Basically, people all over upload photos of themselves, and then an artistic community draws them.  Perfect if you're looking for inspiration, or just looking to practice portraiture.
I haven't done any "finished" pieces with it yet, but I have been doing very quick studies - about 30 mins each, just trying to grab a likeness as quickly as possible.  




And since they're all on my phone, I've been able to do most of these when I'm out and about.  Most of the above were done at random happy-hours with other sketching friends, or while waiting for the waitress to bring lunch, or like yesterday - at the laundromat.  

Anyway, back to work for me!  I'm trying to finish up a watercolor painting, as well as this graphite drawing of a friend of mine:
Hope to be done with this one later this week,
Work work work!

Happy Monday!
xo

2 comments:

Heather Eddy said...

I'm the one who asked you about your fun pencil a few months back. I see you're still using it. Do you take it with you while you are out and about or is it a "stay at home" pencil. (It takes care of the house and little pencils). :)

Melissa Sue said...

Hey there! Sorry I totally missed your comment.
I take my pencils with me when I go out - I have a pretty nifty pencil case I inherited from my aunt. I usually have to take a tote with me when I go out to eat or to the pub, with sketchbooks, case for pencil shavings, pencils… :)